Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Colonel's Top 10 Best (and 1 worst) Whiskey List

     I'll start with my top five favorite "go-to" category. I'll rank them in order, from my #1 favorite, on down. All of these whiskies can be purchased for around or under $30 bucks. They can be found most anywhere. I wont say much about each label. I'll save that for the reviews. This list is subject to change, as I encounter new bourbons that may replace one of these expressions. I plan to retroactively update this list when this occurs. So, you might want to check back on this post in a few months to see if changes have been made. Also, all of these whiskies are ones that I have ether tried, or are in the queue to be reviewed.

#1. Four Roses Single Barrel $37







#2. High West Double Rye $32









#3. Elijah Craig 12 Year Small Batch $25






#4. Old Grand-Dad Bottled In Bond $19 (one liter)






#5. Evan Williams Bottled In Bond $19 (one liter)






     OK, and now on to my top five favorite boutique bourbons. The prices range from $140 to $70. All of these are hard to find, as they are released once a year in very small quantity.








#1. Four Roses 2013 Limited Release Small Batch Barrel Strength $100






#2. Old Rip Van Winkle "Pappy" Family Reserve 15 Year $100

                                                                

#3. Old Rip Van Winkle "Pappy" Family Reserve 20 Year $140




4. Orphan Barrel Collection- Lost Prophet 22 Year Old Bourbon $125





5. Van Winkle's Family Reserve 13 Year Old Rye Whiskey $70





     I thought that I would provide some contrast. I did have one terrible bourbon this year. It was the Cabin Still label. The reason that I picked it up was because it was originally distilled out of Stitzel Weller (one of my favorite, now out of operation, distilleries) It's a perfect example of what happens to an old world brand that gets farmed out, and ultimately becomes a cheap, bottom shelf bourbon. Despite a noteworthy history, nostalgia could not remedy the fact that modern Cabin Still just taste plum awful.

     In short it had a flavor like cheep maple syrup mixed with cough syrup. The viscosity was as thin as water. The alcohol was cheap and twangy. The only thing that I was happy about was that the finish was pretty much non existent. I really didn't want to go on tasting any more of this than I had to!

    











   

No comments:

Post a Comment